TheNationalUAE - 1/13/2018 2:43:43 AM - GMT (+2 )
Upon hearing the news that Donald Trump would not be opening the US embassy in London next month, waxwork museum Madame Tussauds stepped in to provide an alternative.
Residents in the up and coming area of Nine Elms got to see the US President after all when the world-famous museum relocated their life-size waxwork of the former reality star from Baker Street to outside the new $1 billion US embassy.
Bemused construction workers and passers-by took selfies with the Trump waxwork, which was first unveiled at Madame Tussauds in January last year.
Mr Trump claimed he had cancelled his trip the trip because he was unhappy that the embassy had been moved from Mayfair to Nine Elms in south west London.
He tweeted on Friday: “Reason I cancelled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for ‘peanuts,’ only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars. Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!”
The billionaire businessman blamed the move on his predecessor Barack Obama, even though the decision was agreed by George W Bush’s administration.
Many politicians in the UK said the real reason for the cancellation was to avoid the growing number of anti-Trump protests planned for the president’s visit.
Nigel Farage, the former leader of the Brexit supporting UKIP party, who claims to be a friend of Mr Trump, said the demonstrations were a possible factor in the cancellation.
He told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: "It's disappointing - he has been to countries all over the world and yet he has not been to the one with whom he is closest."
However, London’s mayor Sadiq Khan, who has been a target of Mr Trump’s twitter tirades, said the president had “got the message” that he was not welcome in the UK capital.